Apple iPad explosion forces evacuation of an Australian Vodafone store

Apple iPad explosion forces evacuation of an Australian Vodafone store

A Vodafone store in Canberra, Australia was evacuated and firefighters were called in after the explosion of an Apple iPad Air inside the store resulted in the release of smoke that filled the retail establishment. According to a spokesman for Vodafone, "A burst of flames" came shooting out of an Apple iPad Air demo model. Firefighters were called in when smoke and sparks continued to come out of the tablet, although no one was hurt. Apple sent out a crew to the store on Wednesday to pick up the tablet so that it could do an autopsy on the slate.

Apple has had a problem with chargers recently, although some of the blame has been placed on third party manufacturers. Back in July, a Chinese flight attendant was allegedly electrocuted when she went to answer a call on her Apple iPhone 5. That seemed to kick off a number of stories about iPhone and iPad users getting shocked by their device.