stream is for New Zealand Special Category (subclass 444) visa holders who have shown a commitment and contribution to Australia to apply for permanent residence.
Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189) (New Zealand) stream is for New Zealand Special Category (subclass 444) visa holders who have shown a commitment and contribution to Australia to apply for permanent residence.
New Zealand citizens who are granted this permanent visa will be eligible to apply for Australian citizenship after 12 months (in addition to holding a Special Category visa for a period of five consecutive years).
If you are not a New Zealand citizen you may be eligible to apply for the Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189) (Points-tested) stream.
For more update processing time, please click here.
There is no age requirement for this stream
You must hold a Special Category Visa (subclass 444). Your family members may hold any visa
You must have been usually resident in Australia for a continuous period of five years immediately prior to application, and have commenced that period of usual residence on or before 19 February 2016
have a taxable income at or above an income threshold for each of the four completed income years prior to lodging an application (unless claiming an exemption)
Health and Character
You must meet health requirement and be of a good Character.
About the visa
This is a permanent visa. It lets you:
- stay in Australia indefinitely
- work and study in Australia
- enrol in Medicare, Australia's scheme for health-related care and expenses
- sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
- travel to and from Australia for five years
- apply for Australian citizenship, if eligible.
How long the visa lasts
This is a permanent visa – it lasts indefinitely.
The visa starts on the date it is granted.
You can include your partner and your or your partner’s child or step-child in your application.
Family members who are granted the visa have the same rights and can do the same things as you.
You can travel in and out of Australia as many times as you want for five years after the visa is granted.
VISA Aus has significant expertise in handling general skilled visa applications, and can help you with:
- Advising on which visa option is the most advantageous visa in your situation
- Lodging visa applications within tight deadlines and follow up until the decision is made on your visa
- Managing your bridging visas
- Getting results with minimum stress and make the process as smooth as possible for you
Please book a consultation if you would like assistance with your Skilled Migration visa application